Apr 28, 2011

Emergency Purse Kits

The young women of our church made these cute little emergency purse kits last night.  We used empty Altoid tins, decorated with scrapbook paper.  The paper was cut to fit within the embossed area of the lid.  We made the pattern by placing our scrapbook paper face down over the embossed area.  Then, while holding it firmly in place, we used the side of a pencil lead to make a rubbing of the embossed area.  Then it was just a matter of cutting it out and gluing it on.  We also covered the sides and back with paper.  We sealed the tins with mod podge.  The blue one is embellished with alphabet brads.  I used my Crop-A-Dile II to punch holes right through the tin...it worked awesome!  The red one has a bookplate held on by small silver brads.


UPDATE:  
If you would like to view a video tutorial on how to make these little kits covered with duct tape instead of paper and mod podge, visit my youtube channel and take a gander.  Here's the link:


Become a subscriber so you don't miss out on any future videos!



We filled them with various necessities.  The little paper envelopes were cut using the Cricut.  We folded and glued them together to hold a tiny sewing kit and pain relievers.



We filled ours with a wet wipe, cough drops, hair tie, pencil, emery board, band aids, sewing kit, pain reliever, hair pins, and spare change.  You could totally customize it for your needs.  These would make a great gift.  I have seen similar kits for brides on their big day.




12 comments:

  1. Holy smokes! I can't believe all of that fit into the tiny tin! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really cute! I need something like that to hold band-aids. The kids ALWAYS need a band-aid and I never seem to have one (maybe because they have used them all!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I like these because if you "transfer" purses, all your survivl items are in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These tins are darling AND practical! Fab idea...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the cutest things! Thanks so much for sharing the details on how you made them. Now, where did I put that Altoids tin I was saving......?
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made one today and modge podged a vintage magazine article all around the top, bottom and outside, then used some colored clips from the article for the inside. For the cover, I stenciled "911" on the front - I love it! It's my little bday gift to myself. Threw in hair ties, band-aids, homemade sewing kit, nail clippers, bobby pins, and some advil. I'm good to go! THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love this idea and have a serious weakness for cute tins :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the little paper envelopes - just makes the difference. Gonna make some of these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so crafty and recycling at the same time. Love it. I will make me one. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made one out of a tiny Batman toy lunch box (same size, but deeper than an Altoids tin) which I keep in my bookbag. I was initially inspired by a Minimergency kit my MIL gave me as a pre-wedding gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are very cute! Love the vintage boxes. Mel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback and always look forward to reading what you have to say! Susan