Aug 8, 2011

Girl's Camp Crafts

I just returned from Girl's Camp where I had the privilege of helping with crafts.  I have been to camp for 17 years now as a leader, but this is my first time working with the crafts.  Thanks to all the wonderful ideas on the internet, we were able to do some awesome crafts with the girls!  So here goes...

First up were these wooden plaques with vinyl lettering.  My friend over at Vinyl Craft Lettering provided us with two different fonts and colors.  I cut the boards 31/4" x 18" from MDF, then routered the edges and drilled the holes.  The girls painted them with their choice of color—some even doing multi colors, splatters, flowers, borders, etc. They then applied the vinyl lettering and added the wire hanger.  Just make sure the paint is good and dry before applying the vinyl.  Simple and successful!




We also made no-sew braided headbands that day.  I found this great tutorial over at sugarbeecrafts.com....GENIUS!  The girls LOVED this craft.  They made them with flowers and without.  In fact, they continued making these throughout the week!




On day two, we made duct tape purses.  Anything with duct tape is always a big hit!  In fact, the adults wanted to make them, so we did a late night crafting session—which was great in helping us work out the bugs before teaching them to the girls!  I found this great tutorial at allthingsthrifty.com.  I loved the use of fabric for the interior (it was cute and cut down on the amount of duct tape used.)  We started with a piece of fabric that measured 9" x 18".  The boxed corners at the bottom really gave them shape!  Our budget didn't allow for cording and grommets for the handles, so we used fabric and duct tape.  All we did was lay a 14" strip of duct tape sticky side up, and then placed about a 1" strip of fabric down the center (usually the same fabric as the interior.)  Then the duct tape was folded about 1/4" over the edges of the fabric.  We made two of these for the handles.  Here are the creative purses that some of our leaders crafted.  They are a perfect size for lunches, scriptures, or water bottles and necessities! 

UPDATE 4/28/2013:  If you would like to view a step-by-step tutorial of a simple, fabric-lined duct tape purse, visit my youtube channel.  Become a subscriber so you can be informed when I add new videos!  Here's the link:








On the third day, we made notepads from cereal boxes.  I found the idea at infarrantlycreative.net.  I didn't get a picture of the ones we made, but this was the idea...


We also made emergency purse kits from Altoid tins.  This was a project I posted earlier on my blog.  These really come in handy.  One of the girls that had made one originally with me says that she uses it ALL the time!

UPDATE:
If you would like to view a video tutorial on how to make these little kits covered with duct tape instead of paper and mod podge (much easier), visit my youtube channel and take a gander.  Here's the link:


http://youtu.be/TGh-zbTOosk

Become a subscriber so you don't miss out on any future videos!




All in all, I'd say that craft time was pretty successful this year.  Now we have a whole year to scour the blogs and find cute things for next year!


Lisa and myself, a.k.a "Crafty Ladies!"

34 comments:

  1. WOW! Great camp craft projects! Especially the duct tape purses. I keep seeing the special Duct tape at AC Moore, but haven't tried it yet.

    I'd love for you to stop by on Thursday for our first "Crafts for Under Twenty-Somethings"- a blog hop specifically designed for kids and teens crafts and projects! Your post would be perfect! Hope to see you there.

    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    I'm also your newest follower- love the blog! Love if you'd stop by and do the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are such cute ideas! I love the way the duct tape purses turned out...those are the cutest I've ever seen! I have a party going on over at my blog if you want to join! I'd love to have you! Check it out under the "Stache Party" page on my blog: mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE those "I am His daughter" signs! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bags are SO cute and the girls are very crafty. Yay!!
    Esther (http://happyinred.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took at peek at your profile, and saw that you have two different colored eyes. My niece does too! I'm sure that at times she feels she is the only one, so I'll have to let her know that you do too. :)

    Great camp craft ideas. I really like that you let the adults make some too. I always missed doing crafts at camp because they didn't plan enough materials for the adults. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all fantastic! I wish I had seen this a few weeks ago when my little sister was asking me for camp craft ideas. I think they all turned out great. I would love it if you linked this up to my weekly link party Tutorial Tuesday

    Kari
    Newlyweds on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such great ideas! I bet the girls absolutely loved them:) I am a new follower!
    www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - what a creative camp! Some great projects and adorable headbands! Thanks for sharing!
    www.freshaccessoriesstore.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of the projects but the duct tape purses are especially cute! And thanks for emailing me that link to all those cool prom dresses made out of duct tape. Holy cow! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great ideas. I heart girl's camp. I love for you to share it at my linky party: http://trophyw.blogspot.com/2011/08/will-craft-forfun-linky-party-2.html
    Thanks, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great ideas! I was a Girl's Camp leader for one year...17!! Wow! That's amazing. :) Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog. Hope to see you there. {I’m a new follower, too.} Cute blog!

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such fun ideas, thanks for sharing. Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  13. holy cow. AMAZING! i am a huge duct tape fan. i am pinning those purses. GREAT IDEAS! thanks for sharing.

    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing! These are such great ideas. I love the duct tape purses!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love it - I pinned those cute headbands on pintrest!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the duct tape bags, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post made me smile. Thanks for inspiring me and many others to even attempt this feat. Really appreciate that you linked up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those headbands are so cute! And as a tin and box collector, I really love the fact that you guys reused those tins and made them into something useful and attractive :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many cute ideas...love those signs!!! I’m having an awesome GIVEAWAY…hop over and enter…hurry it ends at midnight 8/14! Also would love to have you join me at my weekly NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY PARTY.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. These have got to be the coolest crafts ever. Nothing like the ones when I was in girls camp. I am in love with those duct tape bags and I have got to make myself one - if I can figure out how????

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what fun crafts! I love those duct tape bags, and the headbands - too cute! I might have to have a few crafting sessions with my oldest girls before school starts. I LOVE camp!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those headbands are SO cute... I can't wait to make some for my daughter and niece!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just LOVE these! I'd like to ake them w/my girls, too! How did you attach the handles & make the flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing. We just made these with our Activity Days girls last week. They loved it! We used the tape handles also (I think it was easier than rope and gromets for these younger girls anyway). Posted about it here:
    http://thecraftyconundrum.blogspot.com/2011/09/duck-tape-purses.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, I'm trying to make one of the purses for my little sister for one of her christmas gifts. How did you attach the handles and make the flowers?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. chmbiogirl, send me your email and I'll send you some photos to show you how I attach the handles!

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE these headbands! Found you on pinterest! What a cute blog:> New follower:>

    http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. I want to do this with my girls for girls camp this summer. How did you make the flowers and attach the handles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy, here's a copy of a reply I sent to another person with the same question...

      "After the handles were made we placed them right side facing up to the inside top edge of the purse. We put a little piece of duct tape on them to hold them in place. Once both sides of the handle were in place, we took another piece of duct tape (about the width of the purse) and placed it over both handle edges. We then repeated it with the handle edges on the other side. The flower was made by taking about a 15-18" piece of duct tape and laying it sticky side up on the table. We then folded it onto itself leaving about 1/4" edge sticky. (So now your duct tape is still 15-18" long, but only about half as wide.) Now you just make little 1/4" accordion pleats back and forth until you get to the end. Then you hot glue the ends together (forming an accordion circle) and glue it in place on your purse. We added either a circle of duct tape to the middle, or a gem...or both! I hope this helps. Let me know if the instructions were confusing and will try to make them clearer!"

      Good luck!
      Susan

      Delete
  29. Hi - I love the duct tape purses on your blog. I had to give it a try and make my own - http://veryvic.blogspot.com/2013/02/duct-tape-purse.html of course linking back to your blog and All Things Thrifty as my sources. I'm so glad one of the previous commenters asked about making the flowers though because I thought those really added flair to the purses.

    One other thing that happened on mine that doesn't look like it happened on yours was that the lines between the pieces of tape were really visible, especially on the green. I'm not sure if it was just the lighting since you took the pictures of yours outside, or the particular green tape I used or some technique that you used when laying the tape.

    Anyway, great project. I really enjoyed both making it and reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for share nice post here. Fashion handbags and other accessories information share ..!

    https://www.beachhandbags.com visit this fashion related site

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback and always look forward to reading what you have to say! Susan