After painting the walls and installing the flooring, next on the agenda was sprucing up a hutch I had picked up a few years ago in anticipation of having a dedicated sewing studio. This hutch was sturdy, but definitely dated. I actually liked the gold colored glass inserts in the cupboard doors, though, believing they would eventually play into my future color scheme.
It was so heavy I knew I would never get it upstairs in one piece, so I took it apart and went to work prepping for paint.
The cupboards were all decked out with this "lovely" contact paper! I removed the contact paper and hardware, then sanded and primed everything.
I picked up a gallon of "oops" paint from the local hardware store. It wasn't the aqua that I wanted, but I thought it would do. The gentleman at the paint counter was kind enough to add a bit more tinting to try and get it more to my liking. In the end, I went back to the hardware store and picked up another gallon of "oops" paint. This time it was the aqua that I wanted. Of course, I had already painted the whole hutch and wasn't too excited about painting it again (there was a lot of areas to paint!) So, I figured I would continue with the rest of the projects in the room and then determine if my hutch would get a color change or not.
I was lucky enough to find a roll of contact paper at a thrift store that fit into my new color scheme! The little storage containers with drawers came from my previously organized office and fit perfectly. I painted all the hardware with the Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint.
I organized, and accessorized my hutch with a variety of thrifted jars, a basket, and vintage suitcases. The jars were "recycled" from my aforementioned office space. As luck would have it, I found one jar that was the same colored glass as the cupboard door inserts. It sits in the middle of the jars. The suitcases I already had on hand. In fact, one of them was used to hold cards at my son and daughter-in-law's wedding reception. The lower cupboards are filled with stacks of fabric.
In the end, my lack of motivation (hey, let's be honest!) to repaint the hutch won out, although I like to think it was a stroke of decorator's luck. I ended up painting some of the furniture pieces blue, and some pieces aqua, and then interspersed them throughout the room. I think it adds to the eclectic feel, keeping it from being too matchy matchy.
Total cost for this project:
Gallon of "Oops" Paint.....$15.00
Oil Rubbed Bronze Spray Paint....left over from the curtain rods
Thrifted Contact Paper.....$1.00
I like to link to these great parties!