Jun 9, 2012

House Coat Dress


House coats aren't just for lounging at home anymore...a few tweaks and they're ready to wear in public!  Take for instance this house coat...

  

When I spotted it at the thrift store, I loved the soft color and especially the pocket detail.  Moo-moo style house coats aren't really my style, but I knew I wanted to do something with it, even if it was turning it into an apron.  Then I spotted these pajama pants on the same rack...


They matched perfectly!

One more score from the thrift shop...a pattern that had the exact waist detail that
I had envisioned for the dress.


So I put it all together and came up with a feminine frock that's soft and sweet.


I removed the front zipper and replaced it with an invisible zipper on the side.


The bottom skirt front has a pleat made from the pajama pants.


The back softly gathers into the waist detail.


 The sleeves were shortened with an added elastic casing.


I guess the only down side with this refashion is that I have no excuse for lounging around anymore!

I like to link to these great parties!

Featured on:



17 comments:

  1. Oh my word, that is too cute! Great vision to see that end result from the moo-moo stage! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soooo adorable and I love the pockets too! That would be my favorite light weight cotton dress! Waht a vision you have

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome,who wouldn't love it!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! I love it!! It's so pretty and looks so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you kidding me? Now this is a major and fabulous upcycle! Not sure how you had the vision for this - but I'd like some of that vision (and seamstress ability). Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan. I just found your blog, and I'm so glad I did! Your dress looks fabulous. No one would ever believe it was once a house dress. I love it, and am going to be looking in thrift shops to see if I can make one too! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Susan I am impressed with this turn around. I really like it and it looks very nice. WOW again. Thanks for sharing, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love this - such a fantastic transformation! I'm featuring it at today's Craftastic Monday link party. Stop by & grab a Featured On button. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun summer dress, Sue! I thinking Altered Couture...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is amazing - I love what you have done, so inventive and so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is very creative. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job matching the pastel blue house coat and the pyjama pants.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it looks better like this. Inspiring refashion. :)
    http://etheea.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback and always look forward to reading what you have to say! Susan