Week one of the Refashion Runway challenge has been lots of fun! This week we were challenged to make something using plaid. I chose a few men's shirts that I had in my stash—a couple of plaid shirts that were cut on the bias, one striped shirt, and one blue shirt (not shown in the "before" picture.) You might notice in the background small glimpses of my new sewing studio, which is almost finished. Watch for the big reveal in the future! Now, back to the challenge...
I got to work carefully picking off the pockets. Then I cut 3 1/2" strips from the bodies of three of the shirts. After sewing these strips together I set them aside and went to work on the bodice. I cut the front pieces of the bodice from the back of the shirt, and the back pieces of the bodice from the front of the shirt. That way, I could take advantage of the buttons going down the back, thus eliminating the need for a zipper! I replaced the shirt buttons with dressier buttons. I cut my new short sleeves from the old sleeves.
I trimmed the scoop neck with a band of the plaid fabric.
The previously sewn strips were pleated and attached to the bodice.
I added a couple of belt loops to the sides.
Just a small hem at the bottom and that completes my plaid entry for Refashion Runway, week one! Be sure to check out all of the wonderful entries at the Renegade Seamstress and vote for your favorite! (UPDATE: Voting for week one is now over...thanks!)