This week's challenge for Refashion Runway was Halloween. I love costumes, so this was a fun one for me. In fact, if you'd like to see some of my previous costumes (or some by my family members) over the years, you can click on the costume category in the side bar. Make sure when you get to the bottom of the page that you click on "older posts" to see more of them. Anyway, onto the challenge...
I began with six thrifted items that I had in my stash—a blouse, skirt, dress, jumper, brocade dress, and sweater.
I'll try to break down the process the best I can.
I cut the jumper at the waist, then cut the bottom half into angled strips.
I also cut the dress at the waist and followed the angled pattern, cutting it into strips also.
The last green strip on the front edge was folded in half, then sewn to give it a finished edge. I left a space in the front when I reattached the top and bottom so that the final look would show the skirt underneath.
I did cut the neckline a bit lower and added trim to finish the edges. (Not shown.)
The Brocade Jacket
I separated the top of the dress from the skirt, then cut the top up the center.
I cut away some of the sleeve length and saved the excess portion for my witch's spats.
I bound the front edges with leather.
When finished with the leather binding, follow the manufacturer's instructions to add eyelets.
To make the peplum, use scrap fabric for draping. When finished with draping, your pattern should look something like below. Note: The curved edge is what gets pleated, the straight edge will actually become the curve of the finished peplum.
The width and length measurements will be used for the peplum lining.
Cut the lining about 1 1/2" shorter than the length and the width.
Stitch your peplum to the jacket.
Okay, these were rather tricky. I'll just tell you that up front. But maybe you'll get somewhat of an idea from the process pictures.
When finished, I added some decorative buttons to the front. I also added a large velvet button on each side of the heel and connected them with an elastic hair tie. This cinched up the back of the spat a bit. I also stuffed the curled toes with a bit of fiberfil.
I measured the circumference of my head and drew a circle in the center of the brim. I cut the circle 1/2" in to allow for seam allowance.
Note: The underside of my brim is purple since I didn't have enough black felt.
I used 17 gauge electrical fencing wire. It's what I had on hand.
After stitching, trim away the excess at the seams. If desired, cover the cut edge with ribbon or lining. Trim out your hat however you choose.
The only things I had to do to the blouse was to take it in a little on the sides, and add wire to the collar. I used the same 17 gauge wire as for the hat.
The skirt was dyed a deeper purple. I left the bottom edge in longer to try and give it an ombre effect.
It was a beautifully foggy morning...perfect for us witches!
And, it was the perfect evening for flying!
This was a fun costume to create. I figured the total cost for the thrifted clothing, including the boots, was under $12. That's a pretty bewitching price! Be sure to check out the amazing costumes going on in the competition at the Renegade Seamstress and vote for your favorite! (Update: Voting is over for this challenge.)
I like to link to these great parties!