Dec 10, 2015

Sequins, stripes, and zippers....a few of my favorite things!



Several months ago I picked up a sequined t-shirt for a couple of bucks.  I always knew that I would make a skirt from it.  Although in all honesty, I don't have a lot of places to where such a glimmering skirt.  But, last weekend's white elephant Christmas party presented just the right opportunity!

Using the front of the t-shirt, I used all of the fabric I could to cut a rectangle.  I retained the stretchy lining and cut it into a matching rectangle as well.  I hemmed both along the bottom edge.  The front of the t-shirt wasn't big enough to wrap all the way around my body as you can see below.  I pinned it on my dress form to give me an idea of the size of inset I would need.


I cut a triangular inset from the back of the t-shirt, positioning the neck zipper at the hem of my skirt.


After stitching the inset in place, I cut a waistband from some stretch lycra, folded it over, and attached it to the top of the skirt.  Pretty easy!



  


I wore it that night with a black sweater, necklace, and black suede booties.  Now I just need more occasions to wear it!



I like to link to these great parties!


19 comments:

  1. Hi Susan!
    This is awesome! What a great refashion!
    Kisses from portugal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's gorgeous; hope you get more opportunities to wear it. Tell your hubby you want to go to a Christmas concert or play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Great idea on going to a concert or play! We are going to see the new Star Wars movie on Friday, although I don't think I'll be wearing my fancy new skirt! :-)

      Delete
  3. That is just darling!! When I read your description of what you had done (before seeing the picture) I was thinking 'no way' but I was wrong. Very creative and attractive!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I enjoy refashioning because sometimes the limitations you have with certain garments, such as not enough fabric, give some really fun results to the finished project.

      Delete
  4. It looks stunning! Do you have any pictures of you wearing it? You continually inspire me!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! The night I wore the skirt, we were in a hurry to get to the party. Plus, I think pictures taken in natural lighting are always better. So, having said that, nope, no pictures of me wearing the skirt! Sorry!

      Delete
  5. That is so cool. I love your refashioning. Been following you for ages and would not miss a post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm flattered by your loyalty and hope I never disappoint!

      Delete
  6. wow! that is gorgeous! so many times i have done the same thing... buy something with the vision of something more... but that's where it stops in most cases for me. i wish i had even a tenth of your talent! i might actually accomplish something. guess i need to step up or step off. you are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So chic and stylish--what a creative idea! Psyched to have found your blog and looking forward to perusing more of the archives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another very clever refashion, Susan, especially adding the back of the t-shirt with the zipper to the bottom front of the skirt. More nights out on the town are in order.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback and always look forward to reading what you have to say! Susan