Jul 16, 2015

Gingham Goodness!

I love gingham, and apparently I'm not the only one according to these sources...





Considering my affection for gingham, I was thrilled to find this dress on "half price dresses" day.  I loved the turquoise and black color and the velveteen covered buttons, but it did have a few issues, as noted.


I don't have any process photos for this one.  I essentially removed the sleeves and the collar, then raised the whole bodice up at the shoulder seams.  This brought the waist up, and the neckline!


I used a commercial pattern to cut new sleeves and armholes, then reattached them to the bodice.


I cut about 7" off the length and hemmed it with a small rolled hem.


With the excess cut from the bottom, I made a sash to tie around my waist. 


I'm loving this comfortable, cotton dress.  It's perfect for the sunny weather!

I like to link to these great parties!


7 comments:

  1. Awesome! You did a great job and it looks good on you. Now I need to find one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What an amazing difference with just a few changes. I'm coveting this dress big time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your vision! Great job as usual!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome foresite on your part. Totally different!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is so lovely. At first glance it looks so simple, but on closer inspection I can see a lot of work here, and all totally worth it.
    Here in the UK most primary schools have gingham for the girls summer dresses so I find it had to think of it for grown ups! I love this colour though, definitely not one used for school uniform here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a difference to the original, Susan, without too much work. Looks fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback and always look forward to reading what you have to say! Susan