Aug 28, 2015

Boho Chic Sew Along

This week's challenge for Refashion Runway was Boho Chic.  What a fun and carefree style!  Of course, growing up in Eugene, Oregon (voted the most hippie friendly city in the US), and still living a stones throw away, I am very familiar with the hippie influence of this style.

I'll say right up front that I lost the before pictures to these two refashions.  Also, since these were finished while I was camping....yes, I took my sewing machine camping, I really didn't get any process photos.  So this is just a post of finished refashions, with a bit of narration!

I started with an embroidered dress I picked up at a friend's garage sale.  I loved the fabric and color, but not the fit.  It had a low neckline, flowy sleeves, and a shirred elastic waistband.  Instead, I pictured a peasant blouse in my mind.  So I cut the skirt with the shirred elastic waistband away from the bodice and then finished the top edge of the shirring with a rolled edge on my serger.  The skirt portion now became the main body of my blouse.  I used a commercial pattern to give me an idea for cutting and adding sleeves.




The vest was originally a lace jacket I picked up for free at a clothing exchange.  I really liked the fabric, but until this sew along, I really had no plan for it.  I decided to remove the sleeves, mandarin collar, and hook and eye closures.  I may use the two leftover sleeves as insets for a future project.  I also took it in and reworked the neckline to make it a V-neck.  If truth be told, I didn't have a button to finish this off while camping, so I used a pearl stud earring to fasten it at the front!


I finished it off with a fun owl necklace purchased from a local jewelry shop that sells estate and vintage jewelry all for $2 a piece...I love that shop!  Side note:  If you look closely in the following picture you can see the back half of the lizard that photo bombed the picture (on the rock by my hand!)




The next blouse also started as a solid cream colored dress.  It was gathered and tiered with a large ruffle around the neckline.  I imagine it was probably purchased by someone enjoying a vacation in Mexico.  I actually had it in my costume closet!  I removed one of the tiers and the ruffled neckline.  I also removed the elastic from the waist.  I then used another commercial pattern to rework the neckline and armholes.  I cut sleeves from the previously removed neck ruffle and added them to the blouse.




Once the sewing was complete, the real fun began!  I used Copic brand markers to color in the lace.  I LOVE these markers!  They are permanent and are available in over 350 colors, which makes it great for shading.  The pens are refillable and the nibs are replaceable.  To learn more, visit Imagination International, Inc.






I added a denim jacket to the look.




I also added a fun orange purse that I picked up for $5.99 at a thrift store.




And then to change the look again, I buttoned up the jacket, added a belt and changed the necklace to match the belt.









I like to link to these great parties!

16 comments:

  1. I wore blouses just like yours in the 70s, but never one which I coloured in. Love what you've done with both, but especially the second with the added colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! It took a little time to color, but it was a fun project!

      Delete
  2. I love your attention to detail! I was just wondering how you plugged in your sewing machine while camping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We actually just bought a "new to us" travel trailer and it was our maiden voyage. I think I am really going to like this new way of camping!

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy reading your blog and this one is no exception! Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pink is my favorite! But that being said, everything is Super lovely! I love bringing my machine with me on trips. I'll have to think about bringing it camping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! When I was a teenager, I would bring along a sewing machine on our family vacations. I would always come home with several new outfits. This is the first time taking it with me while camping!

      Delete
  5. You have a costume closet! You are all sorts of neat and awesome! I love your refashions.. so often, refashions look so homemade, and well, refashioned. Your garments all look so great and like something you would see for sale.. very professional looking and both so easy to do! You have inspired me! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your enthusiastic and sweet compliments! If truth be told, though, I would prefer to have a costume room! My closet is bursting at the seams! Maybe someday...sigh!

      Delete
  6. Lovely job and how cool is that, sewing on a camping trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! It was fun sewing on the camping trip! Plus, it was a new location for the "after" pics!

      Delete
  7. Your blouses are beautiful Susan! And I'm so impressed you took your sewing machine camping!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! We had just bought a "new to us" travel trailer, so I thought "why not bring along the machine and get some sewing done!"

      Delete
  8. Susan, reminds me of the 70's also. I grew up in the Northwest and graduated from South Eugnene in the mid 70's... go Axemen! LOL...My folks still live in Eugene, we used to call it
    the hippie capital of the world when I was there. The people were/are great, down to earth.
    I always enjoy the Saturday's Market when we visit.
    You blouse reminds me of the shirts I used to wear a lot. They were comfortable... and easy care.
    djcogdill@q.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! I went to your rival, North Eugene! I graduated in the 70's also! Who knows, maybe we cheered at some of the same football and basketball games...only on opposing sides!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback and always look forward to reading what you have to say! Susan