Apr 18, 2011

Is every creative person messy, or is it just me?

Since this blog spotlights recycled treasures, I thought it would be okay to "recycle" a post from my family blog.  About a year and half ago, I got tired of my creative space looking like this...

"Sewing Area"


"Computer Area"


"Scrapbooking Area"
  
YIKES!  How embarrassing!  Okay, here it comes, my list of justification...




Top 5 Reasons For The Mess!

1.  It's a relatively small space that serves at least three different functions, and I have lots of projects.

2.  In order to be creative, you have to be messy.  It's a requirement isn't it?

3.  The kids "create" here...all the time (eight kids, with four still at home!)  And, using "kids" and "create" in the same sentence...
doesn't that just scream mess?!

4.  I was teaching an early morning class at the time (6:30am x 10 years, that's a lot of object lessons and visual aids to prepare!)

5.  What are you talking about?  I know where everything is!   NOT!
      
Okay, enough of the excuses, because that's all they are.  I guess to give myself a little credit, I did try to organize awhile back.  After getting by for years with fold out tables and such.  I did go to the local recycle center and buy some hollow-core doors and fastened them together for a U-shaped countertop.  I also bought an old bathroom vanity that I retrofitted with a couple of rollout shelves to service my cutting boards and light box.  I also salvaged some wooden cubbies from my brother to house my fabric.  But, let's face it, you can hardly see those improvements in the pics above!


So hang in there, I promise it gets better after the jump!




 So, this is what I have now.



The cute little "suitcase" acts like a recharging station for my phone and electronic devices. I picked it up at a secondhand store for a few dollars.


Finally, some organization to the sewing drawers ( I have two of them.)
I found these shallow wooden trays at Value Village for 99¢ each. I added some wooden dividers to the one on the right to hold my bobbins.


One of my four upper cupboards.
On the top shelf are some Snapware containers I got from Wal-Mart to hold all of my cards...birthday, thank-you, wedding, etc.  They each have three separate containers that snap together.  I labeled each section.  I love them!  So much easier to find the right card when needed.


I picked up this wooden thing at Value Village and sprayed it black.
On the same visit, I found plastic cups that fit perfectly. The whole unit spins around.


I already had this rack that I use for 8 1/2 x 11 paper.
I got it when a store was going out of business.


I've had fun collecting various jars from secondhand stores to house various items. The one with the metal lid is fun. When you pull up on the lid, the pens come up with it. I think it usually holds straws. Only $4!


My scissor racks were from the previously mentioned store close-out.
The spice racks were from a secondhand store and sprayed black.
I finally broke done and bought spice jars at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, only to finally find the plastic ones that I had in storage (but couldn't find) a few days later. Now that I'm organized, that won't happen again...hopefully!


One of the cupboards above the sewing area. The drawer units are handy for holding all sorts of stuff. The boxes I covered myself with a roll of secondhand wallpaper. I added grosgrain ribbon trim around the top and bookplates to label each box. These boxes actually came with cardboard inserts that divide each box into six sections. It makes it really handy for extension cords and other cables.


More boxes covered with a different wallpaper (I ran out of the first roll.)
I ended up covering 19 boxes altogether. They cost me about $1.25 each to make.


I know these jars are clear and you can easily see what's inside them, but I thought the metal edged tags added to the look!


The shelf above the sewing area.




My fabric cubbies, although, I like the idea of the "mini bolts" that some are doing.  I think I might get some cardboard and do that with my fabric.  It would look a lot neater.



I love having a place for everything!

I have to admit that my space doesn't always look this organized (as I look around and see the mess that preparing taxes is causing!) but, it's a lot better than what it used to be!

8 comments:

  1. I think the jars are my favorite part. :o) Maybe someday I'll have my own little craft room,too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE what you've done with the room. I hate not being able to find things you're looking for. I'm a pretty organized person but I couldn't find thumb tacks at all yesterday and finally had to go next door and borrow some!

    Hope you have a great day!

    Cara

    http://miscellaneousme.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job getting everything organized. I especially love the jars with the metal tags...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!! I try [have the materials]to scrapbook, make cards, etc., sew, knit, crochet, maybe more I haven't found yet. My stuff has been shuffled around for years to make room for hub's collections. Well, I'm finally getting a room, small but a room, for myself. You are such an inspiration. Disability makes me work slowly, but if I remember by the time I'm done, I'll show you my new room and the inspiration you gave. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. A W E S O M E !!!!!!!!!!!! Love your craft space !!
    Naush

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. But here's a quote I heard and will never forget "Creative Clutter is better than Idle Cleanliness"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh... I just found this post and I am SO jealous of your craft room! I hope to have a house large enough to tuck away a small craft room for myself someday... As it is now, I have my craft supplies strewn throughout my apartment, driving my boyfriend crazy. Especially when I can't find what I'm specifically looking for :/

    Tori

    http://tori-twistedbreakaway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback and always look forward to reading what you have to say! Susan